Assistant Park Manager
Fundy Trail Provincial Park
Job Title: Assistant Park Manager
Location: Fundy Trail Provincial Park
Hours of Work: Varied
Shift Schedule: Varied
Who we are
We invite you to join to join the Parks NB Team! We do meaningful and challenging work in some of the most beautiful places that New Brunswick has to offer.
Parks NB works collaboratively with our community (staff, stakeholders and industry members) to support, promote, and grow the tourism sector while encouraging New Brunswickers and visitors to discover outdoor activities and experiences. We strive to be the ultimate host, providing our guests with a high-quality experience as well as meaningful connections to our protected natural and cultural spaces.
The Fundy Trail Provincial Park is one of New Brunswick's crown jewels. Open seasonally from mid-May to mid-October, the Fundy Trail Provincial Park is a 2,559-hectare park featuring a 30 km parkway hugging the southern coast of New Brunswick with stunning views of the world-renowned Bay of Fundy.
What you will do
Reporting to the Park Manager, you will assist with the day-to-day operations and management of the park. You will be responsible for the oversight of unionized employees in the seasonal operation of the site, including security, food services, retail, maintenance and customer service. You will be responsible for public relations and marketing, business development, as well as assisting in the planning of capital infrastructure projects. The duties and responsibilities will include:
- Supervising day-to-day park operations
- Managing human resources including all aspects of staffing, staff scheduling, training and development and performance reviews of unionized staff
- Assist in identifying and planning of capital infrastructure projects
- Promoting and enforcing all applicable health and safety policies and regulations
- Ensuring quality visitor services delivery
- Assisting with budget preparation and expenditure control
- Assisting the park manager in developing and identifying the short-term and long-term goals and objectives for the park
- Responding to and following up on all customer concerns and complaints
- Controlling inventory and statistical data for the park
- Performing various other related duties as required
Stationed in St Martins and traveling to the park daily
Working shifts and variable hours, including evenings and weekends
Who you are
You are someone who values exceeding work expectations and have knowledge and experience in a managing a park or similar enterprise. You must be a team player capable of multitasking a wide range of responsibilities related to operational management, human resources, communications and financial management, all while respecting tight deadlines. You are organized and enjoy a challenge. You also possess strong interpersonal, communication skills and are self-motivated.
Your attitude, skills and interests are just as important as your area of study. We are looking for diverse backgrounds that bring a combination of the following:
Need to have
- A bachelor's degree in business administration, environmental sciences, tourism or a related discipline and a minimum of four (4) years of progressive park or resort management experience, including two (2) years of supervisory experience and financial management OR a post-secondary diploma in business administration, environmental sciences, tourism or a related discipline and a minimum of six (6) years of progressive park or resort management experience, including two (2) years of supervisory experience and financial management
- Considerable experience working with Microsoft Office Suite
- A valid Class 5 Driver's License as issued by the Province of New Brunswick
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered
- Written and spoken competence in English is required
Nice to have
- Experience in land use management
- Experience in financial or budgetary planning
- Experience in developing and managing current and future programming
$2,402.00 to $3,355.00 bi-weekly (Pay Band 5)
What can GNB offer you?
- Comprehensive benefits package and the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services
- 1 paid Volunteer Day per year to give back to your community
- 1.25 days/month of paid vacation
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health and safety are important to us. GNB has implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your health and safety.
How to apply
We encourage applicants to apply on-line, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at the following address indicating competition number R18-2023/2024-062. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture
Human Resource Branch
Marysville Place, 4th floor
P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
This competition will remain open until the position is filled.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
A Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check is required prior to appointment
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We encourage and support applications from Aboriginals, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who are among the most qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Let's connect. You belong here.